We call on all to attend the VIPIRG Action at City Hall Counsel Meeting, to insist that the social profiling and prejudicial by-laws MUST STOP!
We’ll show them we are not fucking around, that a wave of unrest is brewing and we will be there when justice is being trampled on. Town Hall starts at 7:00pm but be sure to go early and start the discussion around these issues and how it has affected you and those you know! We have new blood in the counsellors seats but we must show that they have public backing so they can vote with confidence against blatantly marginalizing laws, such as the Pandora Green Median by-law amendment in 2010.
Safer For All: stop policing poverty in Victoria
VIPIRG’s research on interactions between poverty and police in Victoria indicates consistent use of social profiling to discriminate against street involved people in our city.
- 78% of survey participants have witnessed the police search, detain or arrest people without sufficient cause.
- 86% have witnessed police using unnecessary force.
- 83% have witnessed police acting rude, uncivil or using profane, abusive or insulting language.
- 52% report having personal belongings seized (including family photos, ID, sleeping bags)
- 32% report having safer drug use supplies seized by police
This must stop. This Spring, join VIPIRG in a campaign to end to social profiling in Victoria, and to make our city safer for all. First stop, City Hall.
REMEMBER TO SHARE